-
August 8th, 2003, 12:46 AM
#1
Inactive Member
Hi all!!! I'm new to the board and from reading the previous posts,it sounds like I've come to the right place regarding ID'ing a set of 4 older (70's,I believe)Altec speaker systems I have.I dont have a pic of them so I will try and describe the best I can.
The cabinets are 32.5" high,28" wide and 19" deep outside.They have #421-8LF low freq.drivers and H-118B horns at the top.They also each have a 1224A electronic bi-amp crossover in the back.They kind of resemble a mini A7 cabinet appearance.They have a black cloth removable grille covering the low freq.driver and about 2/3rds of the cabinet bottom front.Also there is a brushed aluminum strip at the top of the grille that says "Altec".They also have recessed handles on the 2 sides.
I bought these some years ago at a surplus auction from a local college,and I didnt get any literature with them.I have also surfed the net and some of the links provided in the board messages,but cant find a picture for ID'ing purposes.If anyone has any info.or can direct me somewhere to find out more about these speakers,I would be very appreciative.
Thank you
-
August 8th, 2003, 02:14 AM
#2
Inactive Member
I think I just answered my own question,guys.I found my systems while searching the "Lansing Heritage" site.Here's the link to the page...
http://www.lansingheritage.org/image...pro/page09.jpg
Mine are apparently the Altec 1233(middle one in the upper picture).Well,at least I know what they're called now!
Thanks.
-
August 8th, 2003, 05:20 PM
#3
Inactive Member
Thanks for the welcome,GM.I appreciate the reply. What kind of tweaking would you recommend? I will probably use these cab's for canned music that I run with a friend.I have run them in my garage just hooked up to a CD player and,boy,are they LOUD!!I'm not sure if they came with the 1224 bi-amps originally.The cut-out in the back is pretty crudely done,so they may have been added later.Only 2 of the amps are functional at present.One amp also needs to be set at a higher volume setting to be the same output as the other amp,so maybe something is not right inside.They sound good,though. I have a third amp,but I think its missing some parts so what I may do is convert the remaining 2 cab's to external powering.The 421's,I think,are original,but the HF drivers are just painted a grey color and there are no Altec labels,just a couple of white labels with numbers stamped on them.I dont know if they are original or not.
I look forward to your recommendations.
Thanks
-
August 9th, 2003, 03:42 AM
#4
Senior Hostboard Member
Welcome! Yep, they be 1233s, though I know that early on the bi-amped versions were 'A' series, so may be 1233As.
If used for HIFI, they need tweaking for best performance, and ideally, a LF driver swap.
GM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.
Bookmarks